The Great American Ball Park is the home of the Cincinnati Reds of the
National League Central Division, formerly the Cincinnati Redlegs, is the
oldest National league franchise and the first team to wear uniforms.
The ball park was built to replace the aging Cinergy Field, known as Three Rivers Stadium which was built in June of 1970 and was shared by the NFL’s Cincinnati Bengal’s football team.
When the decision was made to build a new stadium the first problem to be resolved was the location. Broadway Commons was considered because of the availability of land, but the price of land per square foot was extortionate and the fact the Reds management preferred the river front location voided that option.
In order to build the
stadium next to the Ohio River the ball park had to be located between the
current Cinergy stadium and U.S. Bank Arena, an area of land known as the wedge,
but this location posed a Lack of available Construction Space. In order to
overcome the problem, parts of Cinergy stadium was demolished while the park
was still in use, in order to complete certain stages of construction on the
The Great American Ball Park, although sounding very patriotic, has nothing to do with that. The name is derived from the Great American Insurance Group, which owned the stadium’s naming rights. Carl Linder Jr. CEO of American Financial Group and parent company of American Insurance, owned the majority share of the baseball team at the time of the ball park was built.
The original address of the new stadium was 100 Main Street, but it was soon changed to 100 Joe Nuxhall Way in honor of the Reds’ former great pitcher and youngest player to ever appear in a major league game. Nuxhall, after retiring from baseball, became the Red’s broadcaster until his death in 2007.
Power Stacks, located in right
center field, represent two smoke stacks of the old time steam boats which once
traversed the Ohio River. When a Reds pitcher strikes out an opponent, smoke
bellows from the stacks, and fireworks are shot out the tops for every Red’s
home run or victory.
There are 7 baseball bats located on top of each stack representing the number 14 which Pete Rose wore, but MLB prevents from being shown or associated with the team.
The Mosaic, located just inside the main entrance, is dedicated to 2 legendary Reds’ teams, the 1869 Red Stockings, the first professional baseball team, and the 1975 Big Red Machine, which won back to back World Championships.
The Cincinnati Hall of Fame and Museum, which has been in existence since 1958,
but never had an established home, is located inside the stadium.
Crosley Terrace, located at the front entrance, is a tribute to Crosley Park, the Red’s home stadium from 1912 - 1970. There are statues of Joe Nuxhall, Ernie Lombardi, Ted Kulszewski, and Frank Robinson playing an imaginary ballgame on the grass, which has the exact slope as the Crosley field outfield terrace had.
4192 Muriel is a three piece Muriel, located on the back of the left field scoreboard depicting the bat Pete Rose used for his record breaking 4192 hit and the baseball.
The Spirit Of Baseball,
is a 50’ X 20’ limestone bas relief carving which depicts a young baseball
player looking up to figures of a batter, pitcher and fielder set against
Cincinnati landmarks such as, Union Terminal and the River Front.
Location: 100 Joe Nuxhall Way Cincinnati, Ohio 45202
Broke Ground for Stadium: August 1, 2000
Date Stadium Opened: March 31, 2003
Playing Surface: Perennial Rye Grass
Construction Cost: $ 290 million
Seating Capacity: 42,319
Left Field - 328 feet
Left Center Field - 379 feet
Center Field - 404 feet
Right Center Field - 370 feet
Right Field - 325 feet
Back Stop - 55 feet
Great American Ball Park to Baseball Stadiums
Go to www.reds.com#link_2566349 for more info
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.